Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Spain 9

Madrid
I was still a bit tired of seeing stuff. The museum I most wanted to see (military) was closed so I was out of luck on that. I didn't feel like paying to see the Prado so I went in the evenings when it was free. The Caixa Forum had a free Alphonse Mucha exhibit. The building next to it had one wall completely covered in plants. This was the day I splurged and had a traditional Spanish treat: chocolate con churros. Very tasty deep fried pastry dipped in strong but delicious hot chocolate (I think it was made in an espresso machine from actual cocoa beans).
I just happened to be in town for the San Isidore festival, so I caught a parade one day and Naumagia, a display of lights and fountains, one night. I had a great seat for that and got some nice pictures of it.

I also went to the Atoch train station on a tip from a friend. The center of the station has been made into a tropical garden. And the city is filled with all sorts of fountains, like this Neptune fountain.
I also found two rose gardens in full bloom. One in the park where the Naumagia display was held, the other near my hostel, where (since I had to carry my backpack) I spent my last day in Spain. It had this gorgeous statue of a woman putting a flower in her hair. It was set back in the trees and stood in a fountain.




And of course, who am I without books? I'd read the two I brought and wanted something else to read. I didn't find anything, but I did stumble on a fantasy and SF bookstore. Unfortunately it was closed, but I got photos of the displays in the windows.




I also came close to buying the astrolabe I've wanted for years. But 100 euro seemed too expensive (as did the 60 euro one I found later). I got a postcard with a cut out fully working astrolabe for 5 euro instead!

I spent the last night in the airport as my flight left at 6 am. I tried to sleep but without any luck. With the 6 hour layover I had in Amsterdam, and the two flights, by the time I got to Canada I was pretty tired. I didn't get home until 6pm though my plane landed at 4.

It was a great trip but I'm glad to be home. Now it's time to start writing again. I've got lots of ideas for my fantasy novels. Little details and tidbits that don't usually come up. It's one thing to imagine things, another to do them. Experience truly is the best teacher.
As I said, I have lots more photos. If you want to see more, just tell me.

No comments: